Thursday, August 29, 2024

Wilderness of Books

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library.”  (Jorge Luis Borges)


I registered to get a library card today.  I can't tell you how unbelievably excited I am about this!

Libraries have always felt like home to me.  I have always found peace and sanctuary and belonging when I've been in one.  Wandering through the stacks in this "wilderness of books" (Thoreau's description of a library), I feel a sense of unbridled glee and awe.

And to be honest, I sometimes have a sense of overwhelm and near panic.  There's a scene in the show "Two and a Half Men" where one of the characters is at a bookstore, and he starts to have a meltdown because there are so many books and he'll never be able to read them all.

Yup.  Been there, done that (except for having an outward meltdown - my library meltdowns are all quietly inward because, you know - shhhhh, you're at the library).

We're planning to visit the library on Saturday - as part of the registration process, you need to provide a photo ID and proof of address.

However, they have already provided me with a temporary code so I COULD start reserving books "straight away."  😸 

And speaking of books, I will leave you with one of my favorite quasi-book-related videos:  the yip yip martians having to use their Earth book to figure out what a telephone is.



No comments:

Post a Comment

More Bits and Bobs

On Saturday, one of our neighbors (from the house with all the flowers, not the house with all the door slammers) came calling. She was bear...